Monday, April 28, 2014

Hi there,

I had an AHA! moment last week. Those of you who know me, know that I'm shy, introverted, and somewhat reticent. That does not make me afraid to step out and take risks, though. That's how you become a leader and grow.
I've come to realize that I like this leadership thing. It's not about me. It's about helping people develop their skills. That's nice because it takes the spotlight off me, and makes me feel good when others see themselves improving.
The AHA moment came last week when I was preparing to present the Toastmasters Success Leadership Series Part I: Characteristics of Effective Leaders. It was going to be a 90 minute presentation, and I really wanted to be well-prepared. When I was emailing my co-chair, Amy, about the workshop, I realized my feet were tapping, my blood started pumping, and I was really excited to do this.
A few years ago, I would have been a basket case. Blood all in my legs - lead legs. Butterflies - or rather pterodactyls - in my stomach, and I would have not slept all week!
I was excited about this presentation though! Really looked forward to it. I knew the subject, I truly enjoy the subject, and I wanted to share what knowledge I had with my colleagues.
The presentation went really well. And fast! Who knew 90 minutes could fly by so quickly!
This moment made me realize how much Toastmasters has given to me. It's prepared me for these events, and I actually look forward to them with eagerness and excitement, rather than fear and dread. Toastmasters works!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment